Residential Homes for Troubled Teens Provide Unusual, Effective Therapy for ADD and ADHD vs. Boys Ranch
Residential homes for troubled teens like Arivaca Boys Ranch provide a combination including Equine Therapy
Residential homes for troubled teens provide solutions. ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) are the most commonly diagnosed behavioral disorders in adolescents and children. It is more common in boys than in girls. Most ADD or ADHD is accompanied by at least one other developmental or behavioral problem. Arivaca Boys Ranch is uniquely equipped to help young boys develop strategies to deal with the effects, and our unique programs offer many more opportunities for successful behavioral treatment than a child could ever receive in the home environment.
What is ADD or ADHD?
ADD and ADHD can present itself as a inattentiveness or over-activity and impulsivity. ADD and ADHD are conditions that are more common than many people may think. Each condition presents its own set of symptoms although the terms are often used interchangeably. Chances are, if you son or daughter has ADD or ADHD, there is at least one other suffering from it in his classroom each day. In fact, the school is where it is often first detected because of the long periods of observation available to a teacher and the immediate need to focus and finish assigned work—which is extremely difficult for a someone with ADD or ADHD.
How can you know for sure that ADD or ADHD is the actual problem?
Many are misdiagnosed and that sometimes leads to a misuse of pharmaceuticals intended to treat ADD/ADHD. It takes a professional to make the diagnosis and to meet the diagnosis criteria. The behavior must include:
- At least 6 attention symptoms or 6 activity/impulsivity symptoms beyond the normal range for age and sex.
- Symptoms observable in 2 or more settings where they could not be caused by something else.
- Some symptoms must be present before age 7.
Because it is common it is often the first diagnosis made but sometimes other conditions can mimic ADD or ADHD.
If it continues, ADD/ADHD can really cause problems later life
Parents of those with ADHD are often exhausted and frustrated and can feel at wits-end about what to do with their child. These youngsters are more apt to have dealings with the law than others. Their classmates do not enjoy being around them because these kids seem strange and undependable. Their peers see that they just do not make good friends. All that adds up to an incredible level of frustration for the young boy or girl and parents that manifests itself in a number of unpleasant ways such as:
- Failure to give close attention to details
- Makes careless mistakes in schoolwork
- Fails to finish schoolwork or chores
- Cannot sustain attention in tasks or play
- Does not seem to listen when talked to directly
- Lacks ability to organize tasks or activities
- Dislikes tasks requiring sustained mental effort
- Often loses toys, assignments, pencils, books, or tools
- Easily distracted
- No patience
- Impulsive behavior without regard to situations
What Arivaca Boys Ranch can do that you cannot
Arivaca Boys Ranch has designed its residential homes for troubled teens around the needs of such young men. Located in southern Arizona, Arivaca provides a setting with a number of distinct advantages over the home environment:
- The setting limits distractions in the boy's environment.
- Our accredited school provides one-on-one instruction with the teacher.
- We can make sure the child gets enough sleep.
- We can make sure the child gets a healthy, varied diet, with plenty of fiber and basic nutrients, eliminating foods that aggravate the behavior.
- We provide professional, one-on-one and group counseling to develop strategies your son can use to improve his situation.
- We provide equine therapy, one of the peculiarly effective methods of treatment available for treating this condition.
Equine therapy for ADD and ADHD is about using horses, particularly Arabians and half-Arabians, to provide an opportunity for boys to find new ways to focus and to solve problems. The horses provide an interesting objective for focus and responsibility development. Horses and boys develop relationships. Care and training takes focus, but it is a fun and interesting focus. The size of the horses provides opportunities to learn how to influence and compromise. For ADHD or ADD, horses help them have the benefits of working something to completion, following-up on responsibility, and improving appropriate communication skills. Like humans, Arabian horses are social animals. They have distinct personalities, moods and attitudes, just as humans do. At times they can be defiant, but they like having fun, too. Caring for and training horses require hard work. Most of all, Arabian horses mirror a person's behavior, so to be successful, people have to learn to modify their behavior.
We at Arivaca Boys Ranch want to tell you more about the opportunities and services we can provide to help bring your ADD or ADHD son back to a firm path in the mainstream of life. We teach people how to be productive, responsible adults. Call or contact us at Arivaca Boys Ranch. We are professionals who are eager to help. We understand the frustrations of ADD and ADHD for both child and parent and we are passionate about helping you.